[AccessD] User interface

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Sun Aug 28 18:43:47 CDT 2011

Agreed. I almost never use the build in buttons now and use big simple icons
(usually, ummm, borrowed from Google images).  Some of these I get creative
with not matter how out there I get, the users seem to love them and
understand them, I blame the whole iPad, Apple, app thing.  There is
definitely a fine line between being too simple and too complicated though.
Users expect things to work in a certain way and I try hard to emulate those
familiar functions of the browser or email etc.

I also tend only to show what the users need to know about and nothing more.
I do like the Apple approach of keeping the UI simple and clean, but it
depends on the requirements of the client. Some folks like a busy dashboard
too, with lots of data everywhere.  I often build both so they can toggle
between one view or the other, but i really depends on their needs.

Often I will start with a single button, and that will reveal more options
(depending on their user permissions and data etc).  Then reveal more
options as you go along.

I try to be consistent with images and colours throughout the app so the
user get a feel for how it all works. I do add in old school stuff like
double clicks as well for users who like that sort of thing (me for
example). So a user can pick from a list and press the "Use" icon, or they
can just double click the item in the list to select it.

I usually use unbound everything as it makes it simple to have two functions
once a record has been altered  "Save" and "Exit without Save".  Many users
do not understand that in a bound form the changes are saved instantly, they
seem to like to have the ability to exit and not keep the change if they
have made an error.  Unbound of course, let you do this easily.  Bound it
can be done, but it is a bit more stuffing around to make it happen.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
Darryl