[AccessD] Windows 8

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 1 10:41:22 CST 2011

These are interesting times...

A full version of Windows is selling for about $400 while preloaded version
cost $50 or less. It is cheaper to buy a new computer with Windows preloaded
and now people are seriously looking at other options than always having to
go out and buy another piece of hardware.

Recently, a client asked whether it would be a good idea to install Linux in
their office. I have to admit the price is right and their old XP computers
do need a face-lift. The other option is to buy Windows and in their case
the cost will be another 10K to 15K...that is before the server is upgraded.

With more Linux packages spreading out in the market, not only will it
directly threaten Windows, at least to a small degree but it gives Linux a
lot more of free advertisement and before Android Linux had virtually none.
That could be very dangerous to Microsoft's previous unchallenged PC
domination.

But we shall see...If Microsoft released its top versions of Windows at say
$100 they could halt the Linux advance but then they would be annoying the
PC manufactures market from which they make most of their money.

Jim