[AccessD] Any good name matching algorithms in VBA

Mark Simms marksimms at verizon.net
Fri Dec 2 14:02:12 CST 2011

Ed - I once had a project to convert mis-spelled names and typical aliases
to a "standard name".
This client had inconsistent data coming from multiple sources. It had to be
consolidated.
It was pretty simple actually. I built a cross-reference table that
associated all alias's and mis-spellings to a single reference name.
Every month we'd run the matching process I developed, find more "drop outs"
(reference names with no matches),
And then just add them to the cross-reference table and re-run the reports.
I did this in Excel, but definitely doable in Access with a single table.

That's a table-driven approach.
Now if you want something more elegant and heuristic,
ask those two guys who started this small company with a funny name that
begins with a G.
They're pretty good at matching-up words.