[AccessD] Multi Select.

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Sun Dec 4 19:53:02 CST 2011

Hi Charlotte,

Yeah, that was my original idea, have one listbox set to multi and the other set to single and swap the visibility, but in reality that wasn't going to work functionally for what is required here.  Mainly as the process is not a linear one, so the user can 'go back' (so to speak) can change how many records are selected in either list box - or select them in any order, there is left to right sequence required   Of course choosing one of each only is also a valid option.

No, I ended up using option II I found on Google, which is to emulate what I was looking to do via code.

This works by first counting how many records are selected in the active listbox and setting a public Boolean variable.  I then use code like this

I use an onclick event to work out how many records are selected (If the other list box has more than one record select this stage is skipped as we have already set the select status on both boxes).

For i = 0 To lstBox1.ListCount - 1
    If lstBox1.Selected(i) = True Then
        x = x + 1
        strMaterialTypeName(x) = lstBox1.Column(0, x)

    End If
Next i

If x > 1 Then
    gbOutputMatTypeMS = False
Else
    gbOutputMatTypeMS = True
End If

'----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then when the user clicks on the the other listbox we already know the status of the original listbox

If gbInputMatTypeMS = False Then
    For i = 0 To lstBox1.ListCount - 1
        lstBox1.Selected(i) = False
    Next i
    lstBox1.Selected(lstBox1.ListIndex + 1) = True
End If

Which will force the other listbox to only select the item click on by the user if the multiselect variable for the dependant listbox is set to FALSE (gbInputMatTypeMS=False).
This actually works rather well and painlessly.  It allows the user to automagically select whatever they want in any order and the listboxes adjust state accordingly depending on how many records are chosen in each listbox.

Cheers
Darryl