[AccessD] I should be able to do this - resolved

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Wed Dec 7 15:33:11 CST 2011

Dear Friends,

Of course, you were right, I should not have had the Stu_Counselor field
in the students table in the first place.  There's a story behind this
and a lesson learned again and again, but I think for the last time,
this time.  This all began as a little database for a counselor friend
of mine, just to track the students for whom he and his colleague were
responsible.  There were never going to be any more counselors, so I did
make a lookup field in the students table that had a value list - just
the two counselors' names.  Okay, I should have known that there would
ultimately be other counselors, and in my heart of hearts I did know it.

When the remodeling time came, I did add a table for the counselors and
a numeric field in the students table.  BUT, I overlooked the existing
references to the Stu_Counselor field in the queries that underlay the
reports.  So, when I saw that records were not appearing for the new
counselors, in those queries, I started down the wrong path, trying to
force updates into the Stu_Counselor field based on the Counselor_ID
selection.  I didn't want to walk through all the queries and all the
reports to find the old links to the Stu_Counselor field.  Yet, that is
the only real solution.

I am almost finished examining every query and report now.  Thank you
all for gently saying "WHAT!!! You shouldn't be doing THAT!!!"  You are
right.  I won't do it again.

Tina Norris Fields
tinanfields at torchlake.com
231-322-2787