[AccessD] Advice on A2010....

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:26:20 CST 2011

> Mark Simms:
> But let me ask...for complex forms with a lot of controls in specific
> positions and "tight registration"...
> Isn't the manual rebuild a monumental task in some cases ?
>
> Charlotte Foust:
> You might change your mind if you start writing code to copy the controls
> over!  ... I only built the code because ... I was building survey UIs on
> daily basis.  It wouldn't have been worth it otherwise.

I agree with Charlotte. You have to be strongly motivated to tackle this
project.

In my case, the company's flagship A2K product had a crippling case of
bloat that none of the normal methods (including EatBloat) could cure.

It took 3 months full-time to develop the 'complete rebuild' fix, which did
finally work (to everyone's great relief)!

Mark: if you are forced to rebuild a huge form, try these steps:

1. Rename all form controls with a default numeric suffix, like 'label123'
and 'text234'.

2. In the Immediate window, count the number of controls:
    ? Forms("frmFoo").Controls.Count

2. Save the form as text:
    Application.SaveAsText acForm, "frmFoo", CurrentProject.Path & "\" &
"Form_frmFoo.txt"

3. Edit "Form_frmFoo.txt" using a text editor. Find this attribute, and
edit it to the number of controls +1:
        ItemSuffix =128

4. Backup your Access database. Delete the problem form. Compact & Repair.

5. Import the form using:
    Application.LoadFromText acForm, "frmFoo", CurrentProject.Path & "\" &
"Form_frmFoo.txt"

I have observed this to work.

-Ken