[AccessD] Form Lifetime Control Limit (Was: Advice on A2010....)

Kenneth Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:23:35 CST 2011

> Jim Dettman:
> <<Ken Ismert: So, I still think my theory stands -- but the numbers are
> correct only for Access 97.>>
>
>  For A97 I got 752.
>
>  Still would like to know how it even started out as 754.

I think the simplest explanation is A97 allowed 1024 controls. Subtract 255
'AccessField' controls (for the maximum fields in a query), and you get
769.

That leaves 753 'user' controls and 16 'reserved' controls, things like
RecordSelectors, DataSheet support, Record Navigation, the default Detail
section, etc.

But, on some service pack of Access 2000, the counter limit was raised to
16 bits, or even 32 bits.

Supporting 4 billion controls was just silly, so they just picked an
arbitrary limit of 800, and kept raising that over time.

 What I'd really like to see happen is those test numbers change a bit on
> the same machine or between machines.  That would really imply that it's
> related to memory management.  A hard coded limit or a limit based on the
> storage method would always be consistent no matter when or where checked.

Well, AccessD community, test away!

Is the limit truly fixed for each version, or does it change? The results
will be interesting.

-Ken