[AccessD] I told you of this one before.....and now another

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 18:20:59 CST 2011

Yes!  Did I say Yes!

Customers tend to buy on who 'sounds' like experts, even though the customer
has no way to know who is really qualified.

I have a specific process I go through to avoid this.  It has two major
steps - Requirements and Development.

In the Requirements stage, the deliverable is a set of requirements that
could be used by anyone.  I will estimate the amount of time (money) this
will take, but I won't get pinned down.  I end up with a set of screenshots
that were developed by me and a user group over time.  During this phase, I
simply bill by the hour.  During this time, I am working as a consultant
just to create requirements.

>From the requirements, I quote a fixed amount to do the Development phase.
The customer is free to take the requirements and have them quoted by
someone else.  If they want to find a cheaper company, so be it - but it
hasn't happened yet.  At some point during Requirements, I'll start giving a
range of what the Development might cost, and I've learned to err on the
high side.

Another good practice is to do bite-sized pieces.  Whatever get chewed off
in the beginning will determine what they want to eat later on!

Maybe you could now 'ride in on the white horse?'

Good Luck!
Dan