[AccessD] My Excel project...you won't believe this one

William Benson vbacreations at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 20:56:51 CST 2011

I think when i used to prepare financial statements it was always an art to
get all the numbers to round correctly. I had a finance manager who was
awesome at it. Naturally formulas went both across and down and all the
numbers had the same precision as well as formatting. But the guy could
make little adjustments here and there and always get it to come out
perfectly. I'd spend hours and still never get things to balance.

Personally I would prefer if all numbers went on the sheet with all the
precision they merit,  without concern whether formatted numbers add up to
the foematted total. But I guess perception is reality and if the financial
statements look like they don't add up people question the processes that
underlie them.

Thing is, while you're doing year-end stuff you make changes all the time
to final numbers ... so you start the adjustment dance all over.

I dont mimd formatting but i feel rounding raw numbers and even
intermediate results evil and I hate it. Figures never lie but liars must
always figure.