[AccessD] Access and SQL Server

Tony Septav iggy at nanaimo.ark.com
Sun Feb 27 07:43:20 CST 2011

Hey All
Well I have spent a couple of weeks now fooling around with ACCESS and
SQL Server. Using fairly complex pass through queries, ADO connections
with stored procedures and Views, I have still to buy Susan's book to
answer some of my under lying questions. Other than being prepared for a
client's request to use SQL Server, I keep asking myself when would I
need to use this.  Only a few of my applications I have out there are
dealing with records greater than a million. Because the apps are user
specific I don't usually have more than 10 users on a network.  I don't
think any of my clients (including the big companies) know what SQL
Server is. In fact I have produced only one app for a client that linked
into an Oracle database (that is the flavour in my area not SQL).  Yes I
know SQL Server has hundreds of nifty little features that ACCESS
doesn't, many activities use a SQL Server link (Web Pages), so it begs
the question "Should I be learning how to develop  a SQL Server app from
the bottom up?"

What I am finding is that an ACCESS/SQL Server app becomes very code
intensive (forms, queries, etc) much more so than just using ACCESS.

My question to those of you proficient in using ACCESS and SQL Server,
how exactly are you applying it?
Are you producing major apps dealing with millions of records?
Are you producing major apps dealing with hundreds of users?
How do you go about distributing changes to an ACCESS/SQL Server app?