[AccessD] Force Closing the FE

jm.hwsn jm.hwsn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:18:04 CST 2011

I did this once!  The user's were not happy.
Some opened the database and kept it open all day.  Sometimes it would be
idle for hours.
Instead, what I did was to force close the FE's whenever I needed to do
maintenance.

I placed a small text file in the directory where the BE resided.
To force everyone out, I changed the extension from txt to something else.
Code in the frontend would periodically look for the file and if the
extension was changed the user would get a pop-up form indicating the
database would shut down in 1 minute for maintenance.

I found the code and method here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304408
It worked for me.

Jim