[AccessD] Using Access to Back-up Remote SQL-Server Tables - Looking for a better approach

Brad Marks BradM at blackforestltd.com
Thu Feb 17 14:09:38 CST 2011

Background

Small Firm

Currently no Microsoft SQL-Server in house (Only Microsoft Access)

Website Hosting is outsourced.  Website orders are stored in SQL-Server
at the hosting firm.  We have reason to believe that adequate SQL-Server
backups are not being done by the hosting firm.  (We are in the process
of finding a new website hosting firm.)

I have a little Access application that pulls the data (with ODBC) from
the 24 SQL-Server tables at the hosting firm and imports these tables
into Access tables.  This takes about 5 minutes to run.  I view these
tables as a "last resort" short-term backup.

With this as background, here is my question...

I am thinking about installing SQL-Server 2008 Express.  How difficult
would it be to import these 24 remote SQL-Server tables into a local
copy of SQL-Server.  This was easy to do with Access, but I am not
familiar with SQL-Server utilities.

I know that this is more of a SQL-Server question than an Access
question.  I just thought that many of you have a lot of experience with
SQL-Server and could possibly point me in the right direction.  Perhaps
my current approach of using Access is good enough.

Thanks,

Brad