[AccessD] OT:Old Dog, New Tricks

Tony Septav iggy at nanaimo.ark.com
Tue Jan 11 12:28:26 CST 2011

Hey All
Happy New Year.
Well after reading your online intriquing and interesting chats and
advice I have decided
1. To finally get my Web Page (I designed it over 2 years ago) up and
running. It is nothing fancy but how can I be a credible programmer when
I can't direct a client to my Web Page.
2. Start learning VB.Net. I know some of you favour VB.C+ but I am an
old dog and I didn't want to tackle any thing too foreign.  I hope to
have my first application out of here by the end of January. Just kidding.
Let me tell you I have been struggling with VB.Net. I am pretty
proficient in getting Access to do what I want. Now I have to learn a
whole new bag of tricks.  It didn't help that some of the first
tutorials I looked at kept trying to show me how to display "Hello
World" on the console. I finally found one that showed me how to link to
an Acess MDB and design a form with navigation, add new and delete
buttons. So now I am off and running. I still get frustrated because I
know what I want to do but at this point I don't know how to do it in
VB.Net. But I keep remembering  something I read years ago. It went
something like this.
Ted and Paul are having a conversation. Paul says "I would really like
to learn how to play the piano, but I hear it takes about 5 years to
really learn how to play it well, I just don't think I have the time".
Ted thinks about it for a moment and then realizes that Paul had said
the same thing to him 5 years ago.
So hopefully I can persevere and catch up to you guys. I just hope it
doesn't take me 5 years.