[AccessD] From a reader

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 19:21:57 CST 2011

I've been corresponding (lightly) with a reader who needs to upsize an Access 2007 database to SQL Server -- ultimately, she's looking for a web solution. It sounds like an excruciating application -- she said it takes hours to run queries. I think she's looking for two things. First, she wants something to analyze the Access database to make it more efficient. (I haven't asked who built it to begin with, her or a professional developer.) I told her to start with the utilities already there, the performance and table analyzers. Are there any third-party products that do more or work better? Second, she wants a plug-in GUI -- I've never heard of such a thing, but I'll let you guys read her request and if you have something to suggest, I'll relay it. Thanks!

Susan H.
"What I am asking is: Is there a design solution that would make a large sluggish access application scalable, faster, easier to distribute to remote sites? All that I have read to date - is that SQL Server as the best and most practiced solution. But, I still see that as "tons" of data still being pushed between ACCESS and SQL Server - so how is that really better. Is there a WEB or Sharepoint solution that would work as the ACCESS GUI  front-end and a backend SQL Server to crunch the billions of rows into the summary levels of data?"