[AccessD] OT:Old Dog, New Tricks

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed Jan 12 09:35:43 CST 2011

Have fun with .Net.  Just started digging into it last year.  I've only
worked on ASP.Net stuff though, haven't really created any truly VB.Net
apps.

I've already read some of the comments on this thread.  I think the .Net
leap is going to be hedged on how you used VB in the past.  If you
weren't using class objects as a 'basis' for most of your code, that
will be a learning curve, in and of itself.  A lot of the 'new' features
of .Net are things you could do in VB (actually VB6, there were
limitations on VBA), like multi-threading, NT Services, etc.  But they
were tricky and in some cases 'unsupported'.  Other new features really
simplify your programming, like the StringBuilder class.  Very handy!

Enjoy!

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Tony Septav
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:28 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] OT:Old Dog, New Tricks

Hey All
Happy New Year.
Well after reading your online intriquing and interesting chats and
advice I have decided
1. To finally get my Web Page (I designed it over 2 years ago) up and
running. It is nothing fancy but how can I be a credible programmer when

I can't direct a client to my Web Page.
2. Start learning VB.Net. I know some of you favour VB.C+ but I am an
old dog and I didn't want to tackle any thing too foreign.  I hope to
have my first application out of here by the end of January. Just
kidding.
Let me tell you I have been struggling with VB.Net. I am pretty
proficient in getting Access to do what I want. Now I have to learn a
whole new bag of tricks.  It didn't help that some of the first
tutorials I looked at kept trying to show me how to display "Hello
World" on the console. I finally found one that showed me how to link to

an Acess MDB and design a form with navigation, add new and delete
buttons. So now I am off and running. I still get frustrated because I
know what I want to do but at this point I don't know how to do it in
VB.Net. But I keep remembering  something I read years ago. It went
something like this.
Ted and Paul are having a conversation. Paul says "I would really like
to learn how to play the piano, but I hear it takes about 5 years to
really learn how to play it well, I just don't think I have the time".
Ted thinks about it for a moment and then realizes that Paul had said
the same thing to him 5 years ago.
So hopefully I can persevere and catch up to you guys. I just hope it
doesn't take me 5 years.