[AccessD] SQL Server over Hamachi: First test not hopeful

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 16 11:15:48 CST 2011

I work on my laptop connected to my internal network.  I have a couple of servers running Windows
2008, both of which run Hyper-V.  Last week I moved two of 3 of my server class machines down into
the basement to get the heat and noise out of my office.

The machines downstairs have a KVM switch and a monitor / mouse / keyboard which used to sit on my
desk.  IOW it is no longer convenient to get actual control of the machine.

I have always used Remote Desktop to control the servers, and it works great.  However with Hyper-V
things change a little bit.  First of all, for some reason I am not able to RD into one specific VM.
  I can VM into the other.

Second and more annoying..

Server Azul has VMDev on it and open in Hyper-V.  I can RD into Azul, and see vmDev, click into the
open vmDev and control vmDev as if I were right there.  The problem is that if I "full screen" vmDev
it takes over the entire desktop (screen).  that is good, vmDev is now larger and I can use a higher
resolution with it.  Except I cannot get it to go back to the smaller size.  Supposedly
Ctl-Alt-Break (or ctl-alt-End) causes it to do so but in fact the keystrokes are intercepted by Azul
RD session and that session is reduced back up in my laptop.  IOW I want the RD into Azul to stay
full size and the full screen vmDev to shrink, but Azul shrinks.

In fact, this *may* all work properly unless you restart vmDev (which remains full screen as it does
so) at which point you end up at the vmDev desktop asking for Ctl-Alt-Del and there is no way to
send the Ctl-Alt-Del on through to the vmDev, it is captured by Azul.

The only way I have found around this, to regain control of Azul, is to log off Azul.  When that
happen, Azul closes all open apps (may be a problem) and in the process closes Hyper-V which is
actually what gets me out of full screen vmDev.  Now when I RD or log back in to Azul, and restart
Hyper-V, vmDev is no longer expanded and when I double click on it, it opens in reduced mode (not
full screen) and I am back in business.  I can use Hyper-V to send the Ctl-Alt-Del on to the vmDev
and I can get logged back in.

So, remote desktop into the server Azul works fine.  RD into vmDev does not work, though vm into a
vm running on my other server does.

RD into Azul with control of vmDev working fine.  If I full screen vmDev, from that point on the
Ctl-Alt-Break controls Azul (the host) instead of vmDev which is what I need.  The only way back
(that I have found) is to log off Azul.

If anyone has solved the riddle, please let me know how to correctly control just the vm within the
rd into the server.

Thanks,