[AccessD] Access to SQL Server over Hamachi - it WORKS

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jan 17 07:42:48 CST 2011

Darryl,

You have to understand that:

1) In Access I am a bound kinda guy.
2) Bound is the absolute fastest dev mode if the infrastructure supports it.
3) This is a short term solution to get something into the hands of the client
4) Access will go away when I learn how to do database forms in C#.

There is just no point in spending all of the time to learn how to do unbound for Access.  Long term
I have no intention of doing Access projects anymore.

To this point I have done 16 months of extensive programming in C# but all of it was manipulating
huge tables in SQL Server, tens of millions of records.  I have exactly *one* pair of tables which
would ostensibly be a "typical" parent / child / data entry kind of thing, and even there the parent
record is created by code and the child records are created by other code when the parent records
are manipulated by code.

So for all of my 16 months daily programming, I simply have not done the "data entry form" thing.

All three of the systems I need to deliver are tiny, under 20 tables at this point.  All of them are
for non-profit organizations no-charge.  I need to minimize my costs, not spend a ton of time to
learn how to do unbound in Access for an environment I have no intention of continuing to develop in
long term.

If I were doing this to run on a LAN I would whip out an entirely bound solution.  It would take me
couple of days per client.  I would deliver and be done.  Unfortunately in each case these clients
have no central office, and in fact they do not even have a web page that I can use for hosting the
database, not that the web host provider would be common between the clients.

Again, I need to cut my losses on this.

I create a VM to run on my servers.
I host the databases on that vm.
I set up vpn into my vm.
I develop the quickest solution that actually works.