[AccessD] Orchard (was: Joomla)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jan 21 05:09:35 CST 2011

Hi Shamil

Oops, I missed your previous reference to Orchard, sorry.
It was because I saw a review of the admin features I finally paid notice.

/gustav

>>> shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru 20-01-2011 18:47 >>>
Hi Gustav & Jim,

I have mentioned Orachard here in this thread already on 17 of Jan 2011:

<<<<<<
I have just recently found what could become a real DNN rival in long run:

Orchard CMS
http://orchardproject.net/

as it comes from MS guys, and it doesn't have all that "legacy burden" DNN
has got historically as its development started from ASP.NET 1.1 AFAIK...

I'd bet it could become "DNN killer" in long run or at least it will "eat" a
large part of DNN market.
Still I'd use DNN these days (just my opinion/intention) and I'd wait a
couple of years or so to see what Orachard will become by that time...

MVC is actually an "ASP.NET killer" kind of applications IMO - I mean MVC is
"riding on ASP.NET engine" but doesn't use ASP.NET native features that much
as usual ASP.NET apps do...

I have been developing ASP.NET applications using Model View Controller
(MVC) software design pattern and Test Driven Design approach from the very
beginning of my development in ASP.NET.
I personally doubts that MVC is a correct way to go currently as it imposes
rather rigid structure on ASP.NET projects (did that change in ASP.NET MVC
3.0?). I can be wrong. Just my opinion.

I'm not defending "ASP.NET native features and architecture" - they result
in slow (several seconds) start-up of even relatively small apps, which use
Web Forms etc. - and ASP.NET MVC is a different story, better one, much
quicker start-up, but as I noted I do not like that ASP.NET MVC imposes a
rigid structure on ASP.NET apps - when that will be changed I'd definitely
switch to ASP.NET MVC - is that changed in ASP.NET MVC 3.0 already?

Thank you.

--
Shamil