[AccessD] Delete query... fast ... deleting from datasheet view... slow

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Jul 4 08:56:51 CDT 2011

  Yes, the temp DB's are in the directory specified by TEMP and/or TMP and
are prefixed with ~JET

  Not having TEMP or TMP set correctly can yield a "Disk or network I/O
error" message.

  The UseTransactions property also comes into play as to how JET handles
the delete as well as whether you have the DB opened exclusive or not.

  Also of note, if a remote ODBC DB is involved, you need to be careful with
the delete queries.  If you use anything in the query that is Access/JET
specific (ie. a VBA expression) or a join to a local table, then JET ends up
issuing one ODBC call for each row that it wants to delete instead of
sending one SQL delete statement to the backend.

Jim.