[AccessD] Access2010 vs Access2007

William Benson (VBACreations.Com) vbacreations at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 21:30:52 CDT 2011

There might not be so many folk who have bothered to move to Ac2007
formatted databases, let alone to Ac2010 platform. While others are still
quiet on the topic, I will put forth my half-penny advice. I did it to have
strange bugginess stop showing up when my database got too big and I didn't
know it -- only to find that I still seemed to have a 2 GB limitation even
after it became an accdb file. Goodness knows why, and it is quite
frustrating.

One thing I would recommend but it is because I am an Excel programmer and
may not know the difference in how Access works versus Excel... is to call
every function somehow, in debugging mode, at least once - just in case
there are things which the compiler only checks at runtime, and only when
the code in that particular routine executes. This can be a real chore.
Things that lie on the other side of IF conditions which almost never happen
are especially burdensome to check, and error handling for very off-chance
exceptions. But if you are needing to be that sure about things, you have to
force every condition so it gets tested at least once (and even then you
will only have feedback on the conditions you thought to check).

There are some controls which if you have used them in an Ac2007 database
you might not find them there any more, like Calendar control.
Data Access pages were minimally supported in 2007 (could not create but
could still run) and in 2010 will not function.
Anyway, I would just be parroting what I read here, were I to go on.