[AccessD] Max of 20 values

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 09:12:04 CDT 2011

1. Pls forgive me my senior moments, JC.
2. You're such a classy guy, I just knew you'd come up with a set of
classes.

The problem is perhaps in the UI rather than the logic. So far, there is no
prevention upon the user entering M1 then M3 then M20 and leaving all the
others out. Granted, this style of data-entry doesn't make sense, but given
user-sensibilities (the newly politically correct way to phrase Dumbass
MoFo), I need to guard against such ostensibly intelligent responses to my
form. I suppose that one possibility is in each AfterUpdate, force the Focus
to the next in sequence.

All that said, I shall work on implementing your approach. I just imported
your code and aside from a couple of vbcrlfs if worked fine. The part I
don't like is the specific reference to the active control. I have looked at
ActiveControl and maybe that's the path I should follow. I want to compress
this into one clean function that receives the currently active control and
the currently defined maximum, and then reset the MaxGroupReading to the
greater of these two values, so I can copy+paste said "=ComputeMax()" into
all 20 of the AfterUpdate events and be done with it.

Your last comment (about passing in the form) has immediate potential. In
the real case, I have to do this four times, with fields numbered M1..M20,
M21..M40, M41...M60 and M61...M80. Each of these lives on a separate tab's
subform, but the algorithm remains the same throughout. There may or may not
be data on everything beyond M20, as defined by the Parent form. If a
WorkStation has only two LightCurtains, then LC1 and LC3 are defined with
measures, and the others are not. (Please don't ask me why the sequence goes
LC1, LC3, LC2 and LC4 -- I'm just a grunt programmer in the trenches, not a
certified P.Eng). I just do what I'm told... which argument didn't work at
Nuremberg and perhaps won't pass in Toronto, but that's my argument and I'm
sticking to it.

A.