[AccessD] Article on upgrading

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Jul 29 12:40:12 CDT 2011

Just to play Devil's Advocate :)
- See comments in line

--
Stuart

On 29 Jul 2011 at 9:30, David McAfee wrote:

> 1. The ability to write comments in the SQL

Access queries have a Description property which lets you store comments about the query.

> 2. The ability to do changes to data in the back end, without
> requiring a FE change. I know most will say that you can do this in
> Access too, but the FE should be for presentation of the data and a
> place to enter the data. Need to change a view or sproc? Change it,
> and as long as input parameters haven't changes, to tweaking is needed
> in the FE.

Changes in an Access BE table are seen automatically by an Access FE.  Changes in an
SQL Server table are NOT seen automatically in an Access FE.  You need to relink the FE to
see the changes.

> 3. Speed

Sometimes.

> 4. Ability to use UDF's

You can use Access functions in queries to an Access BE

> 5. Stored Procedures!

VBA

> 6. Triggers, even though I try not to use them. I feel if the system
> is designed correctly,
>     there is no reason for a trigger. Now if a system, such as an ERP,
>     has
> stored procedures
>     which are not allowed to be modified, then I can see a reason to
>     use a
> trigger for a table
>     that gets updated.

Access 2010 has table macros/triggers.

> 7. The ability to run scheduled jobs and back ups each night

I've been running scheduled jobs and backups with Access BEs since ver 97.  Task
Scheduler and  command line arguments are your friend.

> 8. The ability to email from the BE if certain conditions are found
> (new record found during a job ran at midnight)

I've been writing functions to automatically email from Access based on various conditiions
since ver 97.

> 9.  Case statements in SQL

Access queries can use IIF() and Access functions containing SELECT CASE and other
more complex/powerful conditionals.