[AccessD] Article on upgrading

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jul 29 13:07:11 CDT 2011

What is the server that will host SQL Server.  This needs to be asked particularly if you are
installing SQL Server onto the server.  Windows Server 2000 cannot support SQL Server 2008 or
beyond.  This has to do with not supporting the .Net frameworks required.  So for Windows 2000 and
below, SQL Server 2005 is a good as it gets.

Know that SQL Server 2008 Express is actually the 2008 R2.  This matters IF any other SQL Server
2008 instances are running that are not 2008 R2 because the two versions are *not* compatible.
2008R2 can handle the non-R2 files (and backups) but 2008 cannot handle R2 files and backups.

Expect to learn SQL Server security!