[AccessD] Datasheet Subform column width a unhappily resetting

William Benson (VBACreations.Com) vbacreations at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 20:24:09 CDT 2011

Kind Sirs/Madams

I had a database working pretty well, datasheet subforms on a main form. I
had expanded their widths manually, and was happy with everything. I would
shut the form, re-open it, the widths would stay as they were set. Then I
decided to add another field in between the first and second fields on the
subform. This was a little tricky to do because even though I inserted the
field in the correct location in terms of form view, when the form opens in
datasheet view, the field is tacked on at the end. I have in the past
guessed maybe the datasheet view wants to show controls (i.e., columns) in
the order in which they had been added to the form. So what I do to work
around this is I cut all the controls out of that subform in design view and
paste them on a different form's canvas, then cut them and paste them in the
order I want the columns to show in datasheet view. That seems crazy but it
works, because the controls get added to that form's controls collection
anew, and in the right order.

OK, well all of a sudden I do this craziness, and I get partially the result
I want when the main form opens -- in that the datasheet subform does have
the new field and it is in the correct position. BUT ... no matter how many
times I stretch the columns, even SAVING the form before closing it, the
NEXT time I open it, the columns are all the same width. Any ideas why my
columnwidth settings are not being retained? I personally don't know if it
has anything to do with the way the controls were added to the form -- and
in fact I am now on my umpteenth such activity with the same form(s), and
the problem of the columnwidths never showed up until now. But something
changed since I added that field...