[AccessD] Ribbons

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Mon Jun 6 15:43:19 CDT 2011

Hi Tony,

In my system (developed in Access 2003), I turn off ALL the built-in
toolbars when users are logged on.  But I made a custom toolbar for reports
so they can be closed, emailed, printed, etc.  But if I don't allow the
ribbon for reports when using Access 2007+, the users could open a report,
and then they'd be stuck.  So I allow the Access 2007 ribbon to open when a
report opens, and then they've got the control they need, but they can't
make any database changes.

Also, when a report opens, I use DoCmd.Maximize to be sure that the report
screen covers everything else.  When the report closes, I use DoCmd.Restore
to get everything back to its previous condition.

Here's something I learned by trial and error:  Don't place DoCmd.Maximize
in the Open event for the report.  Instead, place it immediately after the
code which opens the report like this:

    DoCmd.OpenReport "rptXXX", acViewPreview
    DoCmd.Maximize

HTH!
Dan