[AccessD] OT: Public and private network

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Jun 12 08:26:19 CDT 2011

Yes, set up Router B in the church.

Mask:
Without going into the technicalities, a mask of 255.255.255.0  means that any machine with
an IP address starting with the same three groups can see each other. So all 192.168.0.x
machines can see each other and all 192.168.1.x machines can see each other.

The tricky part is the 255.255.255.252 mask.  That means than  192.168.0.2 can only see
192.168.0.1. It can't see any other 192.168.0.x address.

So anything on 192.168.1.x which is routed through 192.168.1.1/192.168.0.2 can't see those
other 192.168.0.x addresses.

DHCP:
The church people will be assigned a 192.168.1.x address by the DHCP server in the
WAP/Router at that location.  That WAP router will then route their internet requests to
192.168.0.1  which will in turn pass it on through it's own  internet connection.

(IP masks can be quite confusing but there are quite a few tutorials on the web which explain
it in all of its gory details)

--
Stuart