[AccessD] OT: Shopping for a new comp

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jun 13 16:57:17 CDT 2011

For a nubee I would go AMD.  I am not a fanboi either way.  Intel has extremely powerful CPUs.

I keep looking at Intel but the logic of a motherboard lasting through cpu upgrades makes sense to
me.  So...

An AM3+ motherboard to keep your upgrade options open

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625%20600138080&IsNodeId=1&name=AM3%2b

Then a quad core to hold you over for a year or two till the bulldozers drop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

Or a hex core

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001028%2040000343%20600005824%20600005863%20600030238&IsNodeId=1&name=Six-Core&ShowDeactivatedMark=False

Some DDR3 memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%20600006050%20600006069&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB%20%282%20x%204GB%29

And you are off and running.  Depending on what you have now in your powersupply, you might get away
with just swapping these three components.

These systems will keep you in business for a long time.