[AccessD] OT: Shopping for a new comp

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:43:23 CDT 2011

Hi Rocky

All Mr Colbys suggestions are super.

If you want another more simple measurement, simply ignore the brand of
proc, and just pick a price point

USD
40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 100, 120, 140, 160, 200, 240 ...

for all these prices there is a proc to match, and more or less
corresponding performance.

Also, there is a m/b to match the proc, and as always in life, there is a
cheap board to match the cheap proc, and the same for the high end stuff.

I built two lovely little machines with AMD proc and m/b, fun to build and
no enormous investment if it went wrong.

AMD have a one core proc, but for the sake of about $5, you may as well
start with a dual core AMD for about $45 - $50.

Many sites think that the i7 proc from Intel is the current best
performance, and the i7 950 is not so expensive now (approx $190)

Windows will not care which brand  you go with.

Building the machine is like Mecana, it is not only about the finished
product, it is the process.

Remember*, "Jedi Warriors build their own light sabres"*

:)

Mark