[AccessD] Multi-Core Processors

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Jun 18 20:27:52 CDT 2011

Well, RAM is cheap relatively speaking.  I would go with 8 gigs minimum.  You can always add more
later.  Or just get 16 (usually the max you can put in it) and be done with it.

I have consolidated my systems recently and am using VMs heavily.  I have a VM server (Windows 2008
x64) with a quad core AMD and 16 gigs running 3 VMS.  I have a SQL Server (Windows 2008 x64) with an
8 core processor and 32 gigs RAM running SQL Server.  I have a linux box running  my Unraid storage.
  It has a quad core and 4 gigs I believe.

My laptop has a dual core (no hyper threading) and 4 gigs (of which 3 is available) running Vista
X32.  I sit at my laptop but spend most of my time in a VM or otherwise remote desktopping into a
remote machine.  Thus the power of the laptop is of limited impact.  I do have an external keyboard,
mouse and dual monitors on the laptop.  It is really the power of the machine I remote into that
makes the biggest difference.  In your case, more / faster is better.