[AccessD] Excel import from PHP Excel generated file

cjlabs cjlabs at att.net
Sat Jun 25 07:43:28 CDT 2011

I'm having a problem importing Excel files generated by PHP-Excel into Access.

I am using Docmd.TransferSpreadsheet.

Access is not "seeing" the first row and column of the worksheet, so I am getting an error due to a mismatch of field names plus missing the first column of data.

If  I import the excel data without field names, it's still incorrect because it does not see the first row/column

If I try to import the data using the import wizard, Access does not see the first row and column.

If I open the PHP-Excel generated  .xls  file in Excel and save it, everything works.

Has anyone had experience with PHP-Excel and could point me in the right direction with this?  I've tried searching for this problem, but can't find a solution.  It seems that something is wrong in the generation of the Excel file.

I'd prefer not to use my work-around as a final solution, since it presumes the end-user will have Excel on his machine -- not something I can't count on.

TIA,
Carolyn Johnson
St Louis, MO