[AccessD] Cray Unleashes XK6 Supercomputer with AMD's Next-Generation Opteron "Interlagos" and Nvidia Tesla - X-bit labs

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jun 28 07:49:09 CDT 2011

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20110525224645_Cray_Unleashes_XK6_Supercomputer_with_Next_Generation_Opteron_Interlagos_and_Nvidia_Tesla.html

The nice thing is that today, those of us who need one (or just want one) can pretty much afford to
build a way powerful server.

A dual core server motherboard for the AMD processor is $400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643

Processors for as low as $260 each for 8 cores:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2+50001028+40000727+1652756958&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=727&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

8 gb registered ECC ram for $150 each

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139140

400 Motherboard
520 (2) procs - 16 cores
1200 (8) 8 gig dimms - 64 gigs

$2100 for the core electronics for your own personal little super.

BTW this is exactly the system I built with the exception that I only got one 8 core processor and
32 gigs of ram.  It runs SQL Server smooth as silk.