[AccessD] Using ADO and Windows 7 SP1? Be careful!

Doug Steele dbdoug at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 21:58:46 CDT 2011

I had a call from a client this morning.  Some code that I had written
using ADO to write records to a back end, code which has been working
for 2 or 3 years, was crashing with a message indicating that ADO
wasn't working.  Unfortunately, it was a bit of a panic situation and
I didn't get a screen dump of the message.  I putzed around with the
references and re-compiling, and got it to work.  Turns out that this
is probably an example of a known problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2517589

There is also a discussion (well, a bunch of bitching) about this in
the LinkedIn Access Developers group.  If I understand it correctly,
an Access database using ADO which is compiled on a computer running
Windows 7 SP1 will NOT run properly on any other version of Windows.
I`m running Win7 SP1 and my client is Win7, so I guess this was the
problem.

I wonder if I can send an invoice for my debugging time to Microsoft...

Doug