[AccessD] Access and SQL Server

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Mar 7 09:18:06 CST 2011

Hi Jim

In, say, a grid you need to be able to identify any row quickly and easily even if the table of this grid is the mother of all tables.
Nothing beats an Id of autonumber in this respect: Always the same name, same data type, same behaviour, same methods, same everything.

I realise it may require an index more, but that disadvantage is ignorable compared to the huge advantages gained by a consistent use of an autonumber Id for every table - which to me includes any lookup table as well. It makes life safe and so much easier. No considerations: Is this a tiny table? Or a lookup table only? Or?. Just do it, add the Id, and move on.

/gustav

>>> jimdettman at verizon.net 07-03-2011 15:29 >>>

I would not use an auto number as a key until I needed to use it as a FK some where.