[AccessD] subform bound to ado recordset throws error

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Mar 16 17:05:20 CDT 2011

In my framework I do JIT subforms.  Part of the JIT subform process is to set the subform binding
properties.

I have never used forms bound to ADO recordsets.  It appears that it is a known issue that you
cannot set the Link Master Field and Link Child Field properties of a subform bound to ADO.  Broken,
throws an error, doesn't work, no fix.  The work around is to filter the subform to only pull
records for the PK of the parent in the sql that you use to open the recordset that the subform is
bound to.

So my framework was throwing an error on this code and I had to search around to finally find that
yep, it doesn't work.

Which means I have to tell my framework's dclsFrm which handles all form stuff that the form is
bound to an ADO recordset.  And in there somewhere I have to figure out a generic way to set the
subform's ADO recordset (the form will be bound to an ADO recordset) to use a different SQL
statement (WHERE FKID = Parent PKID) and requery when the current event of the parent fires (new
parent PKID).

All doable I think, just edits to the framework to adapt to binding to ADO.

Another issue is that the RecordsetClone is hosed when bound to an ADO recordset.  I use that to
sync my record finder cbo to the form, using the ancient code which moves the recordsetclone to the
right record, then gets the bookmark of the clone and sets the bookmark of the form to that.

Again, nothing that can't be handled, it just doesn't work the same way as the DAO bound form.

And I had to find out where all the errors were coming from and figure out a way to fix them.