[AccessD] Harnessing SQL Server with runtime

Robert Robert at WeBeDb.com
Thu Mar 17 10:19:10 CDT 2011

John,

You can modify querydefs in a runtime environment.  I am not sure
where you got the idea you could not do that.
You cannot modify forms, reports, macros, or modules.  Tables and
queries can be modified.  I do both all the time
through code.

I use and teach a system of using 2 queries (_0 and _1).
The _0 query holds the base SQL without a where clause.  In the case
of a passthrough query, without the parameters.
In code, I grab the SQL from the _0, add any Where clause or
parameters, then replace the SQL in the _1 query.
The comboboxes, reports, forms, etc. are always based on the _1 query.

By doing this, the code behind only needs to know the Where clause or
parameters, it does not need to know any of the
SQL behind the queries.  So, the queries can change and not affect the code.

I just finished a rather massive implementation of SQL 2008 R2 and
Access 2010 with this methodology.

Robert