[AccessD] Access 2007+ 64-bit unanticipated problem

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:25:05 CDT 2011

Like many others on this list, I have come to value MzTools as absolutely
indispensable. However, I have recently discovered that it will not run in a
64-bit environment (unless I install Office 32-bit, which I am reluctant to
do). The author of MzTools has declared his intention never to do a 64-bit
version. Bummer! So now I'm reduced to copying the headers and error
handlers from old procedures to new ones, or alternatively, Saving the App
in 32-bit version, running MzTools there, and copying the generated code and
documentation back to the 64-bit version. Either way, it sucks.

Unlike some developers here, I have committed to the 64-bit version, and
believe that the days of 32-bit are numbered. So I may ultimately be forced
to reverse-engineer MzTools, revise some portions I'm less than happy with,
and release something called ArtfulToolsVBA64. Well, now that I'm
semi-retired, with just one remaining client (who is undyingly faithful),
perhaps I've got the time available to embark on this project.

So, a word of caution: either don't commit to the new format or install a
32-bit version of Office so this problem won't arise.

Sadly,
Arthur