[AccessD] [Spam]8.31 Re: 2 quick questions

Darrell Burns dhb at flsi.com
Thu May 26 14:53:06 CDT 2011

Hi John.
Basic rule of database design...don't use intelligent keys. In other words,
a key that may change over time (eg, Joe gets adopted and changes his
surname) or may be incorrect (eg, Joe's birthday was entered as 49 instead
of 94), or could be duplicated (Joe's twin sister Joelle would have the same
key). I deal with name/address data all the time and I always create a
unique sequential number (eg, Access's Autonumber) as a customer ID. You may
want to create a Lookup key, such as the one you proposed, which can be
indexed and used for searching. On a fairly small database, you can build an
index on the full lastname+firstname+DOB. And the DOB should always be in
YYYYMMDD order.

As for the full-screen forms, go into Access options (big fat button in
upper left corner, then small button on bottom of dialog), select Current
Database, then check "Overlapping Windows". At the individual form level,
there's a property called "Fit to screen"...make sure it's set to No.

HTH,
Darrell