[AccessD] redemption

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue May 31 11:36:12 CDT 2011

Arthur,

I am setting up an automated system for:

1) Receive an email with an Excel attachment
2) Strip the attachment, create a directory and place the attachment into it.
3) Create a SQL Server database (temporary)
4) Import a list of zips in each page of the spreadsheet into a matching table in the database
5) Count the household / population in those zips
6) generate an email back out with the counts in the body of the email.

The objective is that the client sends an email that matches strict criteria (Count name in the
subject, files have count name pattern in the file name etc) and have the system automatically pick
up the email (pull it into the server), get the attachment and process it.

I went looking and all I could find for automating GMail was web crapola, IOW if you wanted to do
stuff with it on your web site.  I need it on my server.

I am not using outlook per se, I am trying to get an object that is a POP or CDO or whatever.
Something that will pull data into a email store local to my computer that I can manipulate.

No one spoke up when I asked how to do this.  Now everyone has an opinion.  OTOH I have actual
running code that does this now, so opinions at this point do me no good.  I already paid to develop
this.

I have a business to run, you know?  When I ask and get no response I go figure it out myself.