[AccessD] How to configure WUA (was: New SQL Server license scheme ...)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Nov 17 01:51:22 CST 2011

Hi Jim et al

Well well, relax ... don't blame MSFT, blame he/she who has configured for Important Updates "How Windows can install updates" to:

"Install updates automatically (recommended)"

instead of picking the setting appropriate for a managed high-priority server expected to run 24/7:

"Download updates but let me choose whether to install them"

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 16-11-2011 23:18 >>>
Hi John:

One example, last weekend that particularly annoyed me was that my Server
2008 rebooted without asking. It had been set that upgrades were manual but
through some MS Update that setting was modified.

I am sure the server was prompting me with a reboot, in ten minutes type
request, but I was not there to observe it so the server rebooted. I have a
MSSQL running on the box and it of course disconnected from my web server.
It was not until a client and friend called saying he could not see his data
that I knew anything was wrong.

>From my perspective, unless that box is on fire it should not reboot...and
it had better not install updates without my explicit agreement.

Jim