[AccessD] OT: "I feel your pain, man!" or "Programmers are most effective when they avoid writing code..."

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Fri Nov 18 06:19:11 CST 2011

Hi All,

This and the other day I have read through and collected a set of links on articles I liked to read about our profession, authored mainly by John D. Cook (http://www.johndcook.com/blog/) and I'd like to share that links with you for your Friday/weekend reading:

Enjoy!

"... no matter how often you want to play the role of a hero, there will always be circumstances that test the limits of your ability to be one. It’s difficult to judge when helping someone means doing something immoral, and it’s even harder to admit you are unable to solve someone’s problem — and chances are, that someone will view you as incompetent because you were unable to help them..."

Your job is trivial. (But I couldn’t do it.)
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2011/01/14/your-job-is-trivial-but-i-couldnt-do-it/

Why Can't Programmers.. Program?
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2007/02/why-cant-programmers-program.html

The buck stops with the programmer
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2009/03/19/the-buck-stops-with-the-programmer/

The dark side of linchpins
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2011/05/10/the-dark-side-of-linchpins/

Do you really want to be indispensable?
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2009/04/22/being-indispensable/

Where does the programming effort go?
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2009/03/18/where-does-the-programming-effort-go/

Why programmers are not paid in proportion to their productivity
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2009/12/23/why-programmers-are-not-paid-in-proportion-to-their-productivity/

Whatever happened to programming
http://reprog.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/whatever-happened-to-programming/?Programming

The plumber programmer
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2011/11/15/plumber-programmers/

Programming the last mile
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2008/01/29/programming-the-last-mile/

It doesn’t pay to be the computer guy
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2009/11/22/the-computer-guy/

10 Reasons It Doesn’t Pay To Be “The Computer Guy”
http://www.lifereboot.com/2007/10-reasons-it-doesnt-pay-to-be-the-computer-guy/

Why there will always be programmers
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2008/10/27/why-there-will-always-be-programmers/

Thank you.