[AccessD] Steve Jobs, the readers digest version

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Thu Nov 10 11:28:06 CST 2011

It takes a certain kind of person to be Jobs. Obviously he was very OCD and no saint, but, at the end of the day, it's that sort of meticulous attention to detail that has obviously been Apples success. I find it interesting how we often summarize a persons entire life and career in a few short anecdotes, but, in any case, you can look back at many personalities and see that same sort of obsessive behaviour - one that comes to mind of Walt Disney, but history is littered with them.

I find it also interesting how we often imbue such people with our own preconceived and simplistic personalities - Jobs as an obsessive narcissist, Gates as a contemplative philanthropist, Zuckerberg as a young, ruthless geek, Brin/Page as quirky academic types, Ellison as a cold elitist businessman, Balmer as a maniac, etc etc… when, in reality, they are a lot more complicated than that and share a lot more in common with each other than we would like to think.

This is an interesting paper on such personalities:
Narcissistic Leaders: The Incredible Pros, the Inevitable Cons (Harvard Business Review)
http://showsupport.typepad.com/odyssey/files/ccc-081208-macoby.pdf

- Hans