[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY moreexpensive

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 16 11:16:13 CST 2011

Hi Shamil:

The TCO is an old and out of date concept. The phase was used when Linux had
no GUI and most of its configuration had to be done at the command prompt.
Linux products are now much more mature than they were in the late nineties
when the phrase was coined. Note; just like any Windows or Linux, it
sometimes requires you go under the hood but not for a basic or standard
configuration.

If a person is fully skilled at either Windows serversxx, IISx, SQL 20xx
they can set up an operational system in a very short time but OTOH, this is
also true for some person versed in Debian Linux sever (with Ubuntu Linux
desktop), Apache and MySQL. Both the high end products are fully 64 bit and
capable of managing multi-core processes. (The current Debian server OS has
the capability to use a petabyte of memory, 128 to 256 cores(?) and could
host over 10,000 users...it will take many years before the hardware catches
up.)

I would think that it would take the same amount of time for the basic
configuration of both.

This is also true for a station whether Windows7 or Ubuntu Linux 11.x. All
will have the standard group of applications. Full Office, communications,
music and video players, full networking, full list of internet products and
on and on. Both Systems are incredible simple to setup, both systems have
regular updates and both are easy to use and navigate around in and any user
can get use to using either as they are very similar.

I would think that it would take the same amount of time for the basic
configuration of both.

I have worked for years with various versions of Oracle and to install it is
relatively easy. OTOH, to really optimize the DB you have to go in a tweak
it very carefully to hardware and user requirements. In MSSQL, most(many) of
these features are automated. Is that good or not, I do not know but MySQL
can be the same. Many people just install and run it, as is but it can be
tweaked to any requirement but like Oracle that takes a bit of training and
investigation. Is that potential a plus or minus to the novice?

If you have a problem with either MSSQL or MySQL or Linux or Windows there
are plenty of books, Forums and blog sites with everything you will ever
need to know. OTOH, if you have a serious melt down with in either Windows
or Linux environment there is always an expert as close as the phone to
help...and it is pay as you go...so much per incident.

Therefore, in summary as far as I can see, there is no difference in TOC.
The only cost is in how much time it takes to become an expert in either or
in both and how much the initial products cost.

Some other points to consider:
1. Linux is a very rugged product (it will run for years with little or no
intervention). With Windows, it is constantly rebooting after updates and if
left alone for too long it will start acting strangely and need to be
rebooted. (20+ years from NT to 2008 server and still the same...at least it
is consistent.) 2. Almost no malware can survive in the Linux environment.
3. The Linux footprint is very small. (About a third the size of Windows?)
4. Bugs in Open Source products can take days to fix while in proprietary
products they may take years, if ever. A single OS product can have 1000
contributors while I would suspect much fewer resources for the equivalent
Windows products.
5. Linux can out perform Windows on a computer with much less resources.

Does this mean I am recommending everyone just abandon Window...hardly. They
are the current standard and many of our clients use Windows products but
OTOH I would suggest that every IT guy, who is planning to be around for the
next ten to twenty years, become familiar with Linux as well.

Jim