[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY moreexpensive

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 16 12:12:38 CST 2011

Good one Hans...well written.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Hans-Christian
Andersen
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:45 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY
moreexpensive

Hi Shamil,

> But "red herring" for me would be exactly stating that mySQL is a better
alternative for MS SQL because it's "free" and open source, wouldn't it?

I am not the sort of person who advocates that product A is better then
product B, simply because it is free and open source. Likewise, I do not
believe that product B is better than product A, simply because you paid for
it. I believe that open source and proprietary software can co-exist. You
just need to know what your needs are and what the pros/cons are to using
either product.

In my opinion, the point of open source is to raise the bar, so that
proprietary software vendors feel the pressure to maintain their
competitiveness rather than stifle markets with their monopoly.

> I could be not quite accurate when talking about TCO, which for you
doesn't include "hidden costs"(?) - for me that "TCO" does also include
hidden costs.

In that case, I will include the hidden costs. But I should warn you, it
will get ugly! :)

> Hans, I suppose, it's just partially true these days (as it's true for
other companies including the ones, which develop and distribute open
sources software) - they (MS) lock yourself in their technology as much as
you wanted to be locked :)

You will need to give me a good example of where this is true for open
source databases. Both PostgreSQL and MySQL export to pure SQL dumped into a
text file, rather than in a proprietary binary format.

Btw, T-SQL is proprietary to Microsoft/Sybase, so no other product will be
able to fulfill your needs, if T-SQL is what you absolutely must have.

> I can tell the same from my and my customers experience: MS SQL and .NET
Framework  (all the main technologies within it) are very stable products, I
have never had any problems that required urgent support if that only
weren't a few bugs I occasionally left in my business applications
solutions:

If that's the case, then why pay for support? It would bring your TCO down
and lower costs for your clients.

If you want to seriously go over the TCO of MySQL vs MS-SQL or
PHP/Python/Ruby/Whatnot vs C#/.NET, we could surely come up with some sort
of conclusion. But, I personally don't think it would prove anything and it
would be complicated (different TCOs for different use cases). When it boils
down to it, they are all beneficial for their own reasons and, if they
weren't, no one would be using them.

But, in my opinion, more often than not, there are 3 essential reasons why
people use the product they have:

1. They really need a certain feature

2. They are required to use that product (by a third party)

3. Or simply that they feel most comfortable using said product.

- Hans

On 2011-11-16, at 12:51 AM, Salakhetdinov Shamil wrote:

> Hi Hans --
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> But "red herring" for me would be exactly stating that mySQL is a better
alternative for MS SQL because it's "free" and open source, wouldn't it?

> I could be not quite accurate when talking about TCO, which for you
doesn't include "hidden costs"(?) - for me that "TCO" does also include
hidden costs.

> And you approve my point of view/wild guess: "but if you start doing
anything very particular, costs may go up and it may suddenly make more
sense to go with Microsoft (it's always best to anticipate your needs in
advance though!)." - don't you?

> "There are also a lot of negatives about going with Microsoft technology
that you don't normally get with open source, for instance how I find
Microsoft tends to try to lock you in to their technology"
> Hans, I suppose, it's just partially true these days (as it's true for
other companies including the ones, which develop and distribute open
sources software) - they (MS) lock yourself in their technology as much as
you wanted to be locked :) I mean that. Please do not accept me "locked by
MS" - if I'd switch/use in parallel any other (development) technologies if
that would be needed/requested by my customers and if that would be more
profitable for my customers than using MS technologies....

> "That said, MySQL (and other projects like PHP and so forth) are very very
stable products. I've never had a problem that required support from MySQL."

<hans.andersen at phulse.com>:

>> Hi Shamil,
>>
>> I can't give you any exact figures for comparison, as I have never had to
manage identical projects side by side to give a definitive account. Also, I
would just like to point out that I am only really qualified to give you an
answer that relates to web & mobile development.

>> Personally, though, I think the topic of TCO is a bit of a red herring.
Businesses typically buy products / packages, not databases and the nuts &
bolts so to speak, and therefore they are purchased through vendors, who
then provide the support for the product and each component in the system.
That is, unless you happen to be a company that sells a product that relies
on MySQL or whatnot, in which case, MySQL and such will typically have
support licenses. Not only that, but many 3rd party companies exist to
provide support offerings, so there is that competitive element to it.

>> That said, MySQL (and other projects like PHP and so forth) are very very
stable products. I've never had a problem that required support from MySQL.

>> Finally, the cost of development is largely going to be about salaries.
I've looked at sites like itjobswatch.co.uk and found that in almost every
category, Microsoft developers / admins / etc demand a higher price. There
are a few notable exceptions, but then you realize "oh, when they are
talking about Linux, they are also talking about kernel developers, while
for Windows, it is simply just Windows certified admins". So some things
can't really be directly compared.

>> Licenses, well, open source software is free, so you can guess how that
compares.

>> Ultimately though, I just want to say (and the point I was trying to make
in my earlier email) is that this discussion really revolves around the type
of software / product we are talking about. TCO for an open source project
like MySQL may be extremely low compared to Microsoft in most cases, but if
you start doing anything very particular, costs may go up and it may
suddenly make more sense to go with Microsoft (it's always best to
anticipate your needs in advance though!). If you want to talk about
specific numbers, we probably also need to be specific about the scenario.

>> There are also a lot of negatives about going with Microsoft technology
that you don't normally get with open source, for instance how I find
Microsoft tends to try to lock you in to their technology (ie. I found
exporting data from MSSQL to MySQL to be quite a hurdle, while the importing
tools from MySQL to MSSQL to be rather good, hah), but I'll leave that to
another discussion as it doesn't directly relate to TCO (but it's a hidden
cost, in my opinion).

>> - Hans
>>
>> On 2011-11-15, at 9:58 AM, Salakhetdinov Shamil wrote:
>>
>>> Hans --
>>>
>>> Than you for your remark.
>>>
>>> Sorry, but I'm talking about "Total Cost of Ownership" (TCO) (long run
costs - license, development, support etc.)

>>> .NET/C# (VS2010) + MS SQL   vs.  mySQL + ... (?).....
>>>
>>> I haven 't seen any real figures - did you?
>>>
>>> My feeling is that .NET/C# 4.0 (VS2010) + MS SQL TCO is (considerably)
lower even with that high license costs as JC quotes...

<hans.andersen at phulse.com>:

> [...]
what the cost vs. benefits are. However, I would just like to add that Qt is
an excellent development platform and, not only that, but it is also
natively cross platform (without being java! ha!). But there are, of course,
many benefits to using Microsofts "platform" of tools. The unfortunate truth
is that some applications still need to be made native (or close to it) and
Microsoft still has a stranglehold in the desktop market, so going in that
direction can still make a lot of sense. That's the world we live in now
though. No longer is there a simple solution to everything, but many
different angles to approach a problem and you need to be well versed enough
to know which is best to take and what the pros/cons are.

have worked in the past for a long time on IBM360/370 and PDP11 RSX-11M so
JCL, command line,  and macro-assembler (especially great for IBM360/370)
and PL./1 and and pure C or C++ or Pascal development with file systems or
network (CODASYL)  or relational databases without rich backend-level data
definition and manipulation tool - I have my own experience to evaluate how
much time all that development takes...

standards HTML5 + CSS3 + JavaScript would make Windows and Linux development
and support costs comparable(?) I'm talking about development of desktop
custom business applications...

I have