[AccessD] New SQL Server license scheme is RADICALLLY more expensive

Darryl Collins darryl at whittleconsulting.com.au
Wed Nov 16 17:02:35 CST 2011

No probs Shamil,

It is always good to explore these issues.  This role I am in now is a little unique compared to other positions I have had.  In the past I have usually been involved with building rock solid user solutions that are rolled out over a business. They have to look good, function well and be nice and strong and stable as the user are just users who do what they do.  They generally also follow a structured business workflow or plan and are fairly constrained on their input and outputs.

If I have had the advantage of working with SQL Server I would usually get access to a big enterprise setup which was managed by dedicated DBA's with all the bells and whistles.  There were always rules about what could and couldn't be done etc.  In this sort of environment I can see your point about TCO and economies of scale and maintenance etc.

Now in this role, I work with a small company in a team of 4 other guys and we manipulate large volumes of data which are project specific.  Each project is largely unique so whilst we have a sort of framework we use, there is a lot of 'start from scratch' stuff in the early days when we get the data from the clients.

In this role there is no need for nice GUI's for the users, or functionality or anything like. It is mostly pure data and brute force processing power to get the clients data into a useable framework for our processes.

In reality we use a whole stack of software tools, From Excel, Access, SQL Server Express to dedicated mining software with GemcomWhittle and Surpac.  The plan was not so much to replace SQL Server Express, but replace it for this job and see how it works.  If MySQL has the grunt and space to get a result then I will use it this time.  It may not be the best tool for next time.  We really do use the best tool for the dataset we have.  Sometimes that is Excel, although it usually is Access.

That is what I love about this role.  It really is very different and hands on - without any hassle of having to spend hours and hours building a functional UI or even a functional DB.  I mean we do built GUI for us, but they don't have to be rock solid and stable as they guys here are all data nerds like me and generally know there way around this stuff.

One of the best and most interesting roles I have ever had.

Now, based on this, I am probably not the best person to ask.  One day we may have a dedicated and central server for processing data, but right now all of our heavy duty processing machines (about 25 of them) run our propriety software that actually produces the results for the clients.  Think  of what we do as drive the heavy bulldozers and trucks that mash the data and prepare it for processing.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Darryl