[AccessD] Clearing the decks for MySQL

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Nov 23 20:13:37 CST 2011

I have done some reading about MariaDB and how it is supposed to be a drop in replacement for MySQL.
  It is fascinating to me the whole process of merging code changes from everyone.  Way over my head
at this point but interesting none the less.  As Oracle updates MySQL some parts of their stuff are
apparently being integrated "backwards" into MariaDb, and things that the open source community are
adding which Oracle refuses to use are being integrated into MariaDB.  Supposedly the best of both
worlds but how do they do that?

On that note, I found this the other day:

http://openlife.cc/blogs/2010/november/leaving-monty-program-and-mariadb

Anyway from my reading of the whole thing, for folks wanting all the good stuff, The MariaDb fork is
the road we need to travel, until such time as that is sold and the process starts all over.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it