[AccessD] Cloud Development

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 30 11:12:43 CST 2011

Hi Mark:

Some people believe that Cloud development will do exact that. Steve Jobs
went so far as to announce, "The PC is dead."

The understanding is that there will be no need for desktop type computers
as where ever you go all you data and work capability will travel with you.
All you will need is a dumb terminal like an iPad and you can go anywhere.

Within major centers this scenario can work but once into the rural areas
the desktop is still king and will be for the foreseeable future. This may
very well be why Windows 8 was created with two UIs. One, when you are
downtown and one when you are further out in the community.

The Cloud is great as a remote hard drive, development platform and
application host and coupled with full communication to the internet it is a
potent back-end.

For me the whole Cloud scenario is great but if I drive 20 miles, out of
town, an iPad is almost useless, as internet communication and cell phone
coverage is spotty at best and I had better have my laptop ready if I want
to work with my office or programming applications...even if I am developing
for the Cloud or Smartphones.

Jim