[AccessD] 10 things I don't miss about Access

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Sat Oct 8 11:37:30 CDT 2011

Susan,

  Yes, I was surprised myself.  First question I asked was; didn't they read
it? Personally I think you hit it right on and they missed the point (and
intent) entirely.

 The points you made were all ones that Access developers have lived with
over the years.  And FWIW, I KNOW they all have had to deal with the same
issues(except for maybe Mark, who posted that first comment), which is why I
don't understand some of those comments.

 And I do think your right; Microsoft is sliding Access towards the end-user
end of the scale.  We here all know it's much more then that, but it always
has been marketed as an end-user tool and Microsoft seems to be focusing on
that once again.  Last couple of releases have been focused on simplifying
things and adding end-user features rather then anything for developers.
And long standing developer problems are simply not being addressed.

 What I see happening is Microsoft moving away from VBA for all of Office.
Access developers will be either pushed into VS or Lightswitch, which will
become Microsoft's light weight/RAD app development tool.  Access may or may
not remain in Office, but if it does, I think it will become a much simpler
product.

 And before everyone gets up in arms about the "light weight" comment above,
I do understand that you can do a wide range of things with Access and I do
love it for that.  But it does have some serious limitations.  Access
developers have been ingenious over the years in working around a lot of
those limitations (i.e. lack of third party controls), but it has two
serious problems that nothing can be done about; corruption and sensitivity
to its environment.  The latter is more of a reference to VBA and
references, but how many of us have dealt with app install issues with
either the full or run-time version?  Or multiple versions on the same
machine?  If I asked those questions in a room full of developers, I bet you
just about every hand would be raised.

 Personally I've been looking to move away from Access for quite some time
as I am tired of dealing with the environment problems and the eye rolling
every time I mention it. But I made the mistake of focusing on VFP.  While
it was more work then Access, it was also a lot more on the "developer" end
of the scale.  There was not much that you couldn't do with it.  It was no
where near as user friendly though. Just about everything was done from the
command window.  In fact I got laughed at a bit when I complained that I
couldn't get the query designer to do a simple two table join right.  The
response was "no serious developer uses that".  My only come back was "Why
is it called VISUAL VFP then?"  Got a lot of grumbles after that<g>

  But the data environment alone when working with forms is something Access
developers would kill for.  Add to that the ability to compile into a true
.EXE, work with just about any 3rd party control, build COM objects or
DLL's, having unit testing capability, and being able to do n-tier designs,
and it made it quite attractive.  Microsoft unfortunately killed it just as
I was coming up to speed with it, so I was back to square one looking for
the next best thing.  I keep trying to get into VS, but I keep getting
pulled back into Access.

  I guess I should be thankful I'm still working and for all those users
that do get in over their heads<g>.

Jim.