[AccessD] Convert 2007/2010 to 2003

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 28 09:26:24 CDT 2011

Mark,

I fall in the no tolerance category.  I tend to love new stuff, but I also have to make a living and
when things just cripple my productivity I move slowly.  When bugs cripple my productivity I just
wait for the bugs to go away before I go there.  When they don't fix the bugs I don't go there at all.

Office 2000 was a huge rewrite of 97, but buggy.  Office 2002 (XP) was just a massive bug fix.
Office 2003 was another massive bug fix.  Office 2007 was a massive bug injection.  Office 2010 was
another massive bug injection.

Say what you want but (like Windows XP) Office 2003 was the most stable version of the product they
ever released.  IMHO Windows 2007 has achieved that "very stable" status and I am now moving all my
machines to Windows 2007.

IMHO Office 2007 has not reached that status.  They never fixed the bugs before they released Office
2010, and Office 2010 added new bugs on top of the bugs introduced (and not fixed) in Office 2007.

So I wait.  For development Office 2003 is rock solid and stable and (mostly) just runs under Office
2007.  I actually do use Office 2007 runtime because it gives me "free license" to distribute the
app, but I do the dev under Office 2003 and then just test under Office 2007.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

Reality is what refuses to go away
when you do not believe in it