[AccessD] Freelancing

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 2 13:51:55 CDT 2011

There are a number of areas, which look very interesting in which to spend
new time. The problem is finding the time.

First; You will never make many money building one-off products for a
client. Building and marketing a product multiple times is much more cost
effective.

Second; everything is going web-based, especially if you live and work in
any major urban centers. So it is time to learn everything you can about
HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript > JQuery, JASON etc. There is so much free code,
information and inexpensive services out on the web that it can be amazing
how fast an application can be hacked together, with little knowledge.

Third; converting apps to display and run on SmartPhones is a great idea.
There are a host of free or cheap application that will allow you to do
that. In addition, there are a number of great frameworks out there that can
fit anyone's needs. (They will of course have to be hacked for any complex
or specific designs...I like VS ASP.Net for building boilerplate code).

Fourth; databases can no longer be just SQL types. The new map-reduce or
NOSQL databases are quickly replacing systems where over a 10 million pieces
of data that require routine searching. Most of these new databases are free
or very inexpensive.

Fifth; backend server technology is also changing as well as the DBs.
Checkout NODE.js...it is incredibly fast and this allows you to leverage
your JavaScript skills.

Sixth; hosting your or having your client's hosting their own databases may
not be a good idea as cloud hosting is coming into its own. There are deals
like one TB of data for $8.00 a month, including full backups. If you are up
to it you can build, you own Cloud, as drives are very cheap now. (Example:
2TB = $89 for an external drive...I just pull them apart and stuff the drive
into the server.

There are lots of opportunities out there for programmers, even old codgers
like myself, but the learning curve is real steep though not
expensive...this is something to do for guys that say they have retired. ;-)

Seventh; I would recommend do not try to do it all on your own. One fool
working alone is only a third as effective as two such individuals are.

Jim