[AccessD] Access versioning / tracking changes

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Sep 9 06:52:56 CDT 2011

I use a somewhat simple two table change request database for tracking changes to my Access
projects.  I have to admit I find it problematic to track changes to a level that allows backing out
any specific change while leaving the rest.  This has resulted in "rolling back" to a specific level
when a problem comes up.  And yes they do test but things do happen.

I have a CR table where the client places their change requests with explanatory text.  It has the
typical requested date / requesting person / date to test / date tested etc.  A child table holds
what I do with explanatory text and a test regimen to test that it work, a text for what they found
in test (if problems).  I can add another record as a response to that testing problem etc.

The problem I run into is that any significant change may involve a change to N queries, additional
fields or entire tables, code modules and so forth.  A change may be trivial or it may be an entire
subsystem.  I have never found a way to really document in sufficient detail what I did to implement
the change that would allow me to back out just that change, at least of the change is very complex.

If I get two or three changes in and then one four changes back is found to be a problem such that
they want to roll it back, I often times cant.  If we roll back all the changes since (go back to a
previous version) then we lose all of the actual work done since.

I have never worked in a large design team and witnessed how this is generally done.  I am wondering
how you guys handle this stuff.  Any words of wisdom?  Tools?  tips?

Can we have a discussion on this?